Thursday 26 September 2013

Species 78 - 15 Spined Stickleback

Well it's certainly not one of the largest fish I've caught on my species hunt but it is definitely one of the coolest.

To catch this little monster, I had to borrow some tackle from a friend of mine, Scott Hutchison, scaling down to a size 26 hook that had been pre-tied to 1lb nylon. On the hook was the smallest fleck of mackerel you could imagine, but when you've seen the size of their mouths its plain to see why going that small was necessary.

To me these fish look quite similar to pike, which is probably why I like them so much, but they only grow to a maximum size of around 150mm. This particular fish was caught in St Helier harbour, I think this must be a breeding ground for them as between myself and Scott we noticed quite a few of these hanging around the weed along the edges of the pontoons.

4 comments:

  1. Hi there was the hook and bait free lined or was there any weight/float involved? I see quite a few 15-spines in my local area of Oban and I'm hoping to target them any tips would be useful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just caught mine with a cup and stick, I didn't have a hard time because the fish wasn't naughty when I caught it

      Delete
  2. I have it, I caught it in Quezon Philippines, but now it's dead because I didn't bring home much saltwater.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And it's striped blue/yellow

      Delete